Courtesy is the Best Policy




















Once, a potential client called in and asked whether my company provides training on “Telephone Conversation Skills”.




















The enquiry brought to light the simple fact that though technology has advanced rapidly, we humans have yet to cope with its impacts in our lives. We have telephones and mobile phones, yet we do not have the skills in proper communication.

I have quite a number of bad experiences with telephone and telephone conversation.

There was once I was extremely busy, and my hand phone rang. I picked up and told the caller (my friend) that it was office hour and I was rushing off for something. But being very inconsiderate, the caller had no intention of hanging up, and he continued to joke around asking questions like, “Why are you so busy?”, “Are you sure you are busy?”, “Why every time I call, you are busy?”, or even “Is it because you do not want to talk?”…

On another occasion, it was past office hour, but I was still in the office, frantically trying to finish off my last bit of work. The caller questioned, “Why are you still in the office? Are you really that hardworking?”

There were even instances whereby people called me up and told me, “I do not want to call you, but I am in a traffic jam (and I need entertainment)…” Sounds ironic, but this is true.

Some called and asked straightaway, “Where are you?” Oh come on, I have not made any appointment with you and I do not have to report to you my whereabouts. By the way, since when the mobile phone has become a remote control device?

Another experience was one fine day when I checked my list of missed calls after a meeting: there were 20 over missed calls from the same person within few hours’ time; but the caller has nothing urgent or important. I wonder whether it is necessary to make 20 over phone calls (at an average of one phone call every five to ten minutes) to make his or her presence felt?

I believe we do not need special skills in telephone conversation. All we need is the little courtesy no matter whom we talk to. We ought to respect the person even though he or she is your bosom friend. Courtesy is still the best policy.

(From top to bottom:
Bintulu Old Air Port;
Gateway to St. Anthony's Church, Bintulu;
Bintulu marketplace;
Garden in St. Anthony's Church, Bintulu;
Bintulu roundabout)

Comments