Change Or Be Changed

St Ignatius changed. How have I changed? Have I changed for the better or for worse? Or I have not changed a bit?

As far as I can remember, I change not because I want to but I have to. Things around me change, situation changes; therefore I have no choice but to change as well, to fit into surroundings of things, to fit into the background of life. It is more appropriate to say I was changed instead of I changed.

At certain point of my life, I was inspired to type out the Gospel passages. However, new broom swept clean. After a while, I began to think how foolish of me to have started doing that. In my mind, I was thinking, why should I type out the Gospel passages when I could simply download the Gospel passages from the internet? After having that thought, I had stopped the typing that I have started. I do not know whether St Ignatius finished the copying or not. However I believe people must have been ridiculing him for doing so. Why the copying by hand while we could do so by printing? Why using the hard way while we could do things the easy way?

It is never easy to be different. People called me stupid and saying that I was idealistic. It hurt and I began to think whether I was on the track or made the wrong decision. Who wants to be a fool in the eyes of the world anyway?

[Reflection on Autobiography of St. Ignatius, Para. 11]

Comments