No To Bali

No to Bali? Not that I am against the tourist spot called Bali. Neither will I say “No” for fear of tsunami. Then why is it “No to Bali”?

My company is organizing a company trip to Bali Island. Everyone was so excited about it. Everyone seemed to be talking about it.

Everything just changed when one fine day, every employee was given a “reimbursement agreement”. Every staff who wanted to join the trip will have to sign the “agreement”. In the event when the staff did not turned up for the trip after booking of air ticket and hotel room had been done, the staff that breached the “agreement” would have to reimburse MYR 1,600.

I was speechless. Deep within me, I was boiling...

It clearly showed that the company did not trust its own employees. When the company trip is supposed to be a trip of fun and excitement, the stingy company kept thinking of the MYR1,600 that it had to spent for every employee. The company did not see that the employees were mature enough to say what they mean and mean what they say. If we say we are going, we are going. There is no need of “agreement”.

What if something were to happen and the employee could not make it for the trip? The “agreement” stated that “(the employee) agree to reimburse MYR1,600 (as long as he or she backs out after booking has been done)”. What if the employee has a valid reason? Who would be the one to defend him?

The “agreement” is clearly lop-sided and flawed with ambiguity. It puts the employees’ right at stake. MYR1,600 is almost two third of the monthly salary of an engineer and twice the monthly salary of an technician.

I am NOT going to sign the so-called “agreement”. Neither will I long for the company trip to Bali Island... I can pay for my own if I really want to go there...

No to Bali... No to infringement of employee’s right!

Comments