Pray As I Can

Irregular working hours means disruption in normal routine. It affects me physically and mentally. It literally drains every bit of energy out of me leaving me extremely exhausted after the long-hours of work. I always feel guilty when I doze off or lose focus during prayer. To make things worse, Jesus’ words, “Can’t you stay awake for one hour...” keep ringing in my head.

Para 26 clearly shows that biological needs are as important as spiritual needs. There is a time for everything and that includes sleeping. And it also means that I need to find the proper time to pray. Here comes the call to change and adaptation in my schedule.

Margaret Silf’s analogy on “Contemplation in Action” using the oil lamp is interesting. I am the wick: no matter how busy I have to burn and give light to the world; another end of me must be dipped in the Oil (God) at all times.

I recalled how St Paul has invited me to pray at all times. And again, Margaret Silf has suggested me to think out of the box, think real and think big. I have been very rigid on prayers and I guess it is time to be creative and flexible as well. Now, I can no longer find excuses that I do not have time to pray or I am too tired to pray.

[Reflection on the Autobiogarphy of St. Ignatius, Para. 26]

Comments