Never to Offend You




“Lord, I will not do anything to offend You.”

Sounds very similar to what I say every time I make a blunder in my life. The words have been so familiar that I no longer feel sense of guilt or remorse over my mistakes and my sin. I think sometimes I have tried too hard (maybe not hard enough) in avoiding sin.

It is said that the more I mention (or remember) the sin itself, I will tend to commit it again because I have paid too much attention and energy to remember it. A priest has once told me that I should focus more on God’s abundant grace and love instead of my own iniquities.

Margaret Silf puts it very beautifully, “Don’t take yourself too seriously.” I think she is right to some extent. Though it is good to be aware of our sinfulness, that should not hinder us from moving forward. Taking myself less seriously will allow me to take God more seriously and allowing Him to transform me.

[Reflection on Autobiography of St. Ignatius, Para. 24]

Comments