Betrayal

It was a seeming slip-of-the-tongue. But I was not an idiot.

A & B seemed to be very close friends. And it was hard to imagine B would just give A a stab in the back until that day I saw it with my own eyes and heard with my own ears. A trusted B but B without any hesitation, traded A’s trust for personal gain.

I shuddered at the thought that someone would just get close to me, win my trust in order to destroy me. In the case of A and B, B was clearly trying to trample upon A in order to gain the upper hand.

The moral of the story is that it is good to trust but not too trusting. As Selangor State Assembly Speaker Teng Chang Kim puts it, “With such a ‘friend’ (who betrays), there is no need for enemy” because the so-called friend is more unpredictable and frightening than the enemy. You just do not know when to expect a stab from this “friend” of yours.

(Moon Hill, Yangshuo, China)

Comments