Flasher

Flasher? Yes, and what are you thinking?

My senior and I were travelling along the North South Expressway and there ahead of us was a police car. The police car was slow but it was using the fast lane.

Normally what people would do on a highway was to flash at the car ahead, signalling the car in front to give way. However this time, the scenario was different, my senior was hesitant to flash at the police in front of us.

I guess the hesitation was due to irrational fear towards the police in Malaysia. I believe the phobia of police do haunt most Malaysians because to certain extent, most of us have bad encounter with the policeman for one reason or another.

Since young, my parents would scare me whenever I was naughty or when I was crying to stop my misbehaviour or the police would come and arrest me, putting me in the lock-up where I would spend the rest of my life eating curry rice. And I guess psychologically, we still have problem overcoming our childhood trauma.

Well then, when grew older, we discovered that the police force has continuously disappointed us in one way or another. The public image of police force is often tarnished with corruption, abuse of power, ineffectiveness and inefficiency…

There are constant calls for reform within the police force. But in order for the police to do so, the ruling party (in this case UMNO) who controls the police force will have to undergo reform first. And in order for UMNO to change, we the people will have to press for change. Everything is interlinked and the change begins with us.

Though the road towards reform is as far apart as heaven is from the earth, we have to start somewhere, we have to start somehow, and we have to start something. I pray that I will live to see that day.

P/S: And according to Malaysian Insider, Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan’s contract has just been renewed for his “excellent” job.
.

Comments