Woman of Great Faith

She was 70 over years old, and she has to cycle back to her house after Evening Mass at the Chapel.

It was about 10PM and it was dark out there; the streets were dimly lit. The wind was blowing strongly and rain was imminent. I was worried for her. Considering her age, the distance of her house, the possible downpour, and the road condition, my worry was not unfounded.

I suggested to send her home and asked her leave her bicycle in the Chapel. But she insisted on cycling back on her own.

“The wind is strong, and it is about to rain,” I reminded her.

“I am not afraid,” she replied.

Trying to show my concern for her safety, I said, “But I am (afraid of your safety).”

To which, she assured me, “Do not be afraid. Jesus is with me.”

I was silenced.

She left alone, as unassumingly as she has come. And strange enough, it did not rain last night. Yes, Jesus was with her.

(Top: Morning at Sapa, Vietnam; bottom: sunset at Ha Long Bay, Vietnam)

Comments