Theory Versus Practical

.
It has always been publicly known that the quality of the Malaysian Education System is going down the drain. And embarrassingly I am one of the victim.

My friend while doing his home improvement, has accidentally drilled into the wires concealled in the wall. There was a blackout and even when the damaged wires were reconnected, there was no electricity in the kitchen.

And I thought it was easy and without second thought volunteered to troubleshoot the problem.

When I went over, I panicked looking at the main switchboard. It was a 3-phase system; something new for me. I tried to locate the fuses - where were they? I looked at the box next to the main switchboard, trying to open it up. Then my friend gently pointed out that the box was actually the door bell and not the fuse box - I blushed.

"What's next?" I asked myself. I needed to think. "Okay, let's test the MCBs," I told my friend.

And mind you, that was the most stupid thing that I did for I had no idea at that moment of time. I got my friend to switch on all the lights in the house so that we could identify which MCB controlled which section of the house. And poor thing, my friend had to run up and down to locate which light had been turned off as I switched off the MCB one by one!

And the method of troubleshooting did not give me any clue at all. It made me even more confused. I scratched my head looking at the main switchboard, sweating profusely. It was a warm afternoon.

Then I decided to isolate the problem area. I took my test pen, making sure it could withstand 500kV and tested each output of the MCB. For your information, there was once I blew up my multimeter when I was troubleshooting at the main switchboard at another occasion. Therefore, I learnt my lesson and I double checked before poking the test pen into each slot.

Finally I discovered that there was no incoming at the blue phase. And I suspected the fuse was damaged during the drilling. Still, I was not confident enough. I called up another friend of mine and double confirmed before I pulled out the fuse.

We got the replacement from the hardware shop and I was relieved when the kitchen light came back.

I was thankful that God has given me this opportunity to help and to learn. It reminded me of the creation story whereby God said, "Let there be light." And Isaiah prophesized the coming of Christ saying, "The people who walked in darkness has seen a great light!"

Today, I too have seen a great light. I have seen that I am talented and gifted in one way or another. And I am not as "dumb" as I think I am. All I need is patience to learn and confidence in myself.

Comments